Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Brining Poultry



Very shortly now I am going to be pickling, or corning a mess of chicken drumsticks I had
 to buy because of the price.

I can, can the meat fresh with only a hint of salt, I can freeze the meat for being too lazy to 
deal with it right now or I can get on the phone and tell my friends to bring over the wet stuff 
to slurp on, and the side dishes to accompany grilled chicken, maybe some cooked up in a 
Buffalo sauce, maybe some done up proud with a perky BBQ sauce, (just gotta get those 
finger's sticky!) just about anything with the exception of boiled bird.

No, today I am going to brine some the bird, then I am going to cook it down for that rich red, 
highly spiced melt in your mouth corned chicken.

Doesn't roll off the tongue like corned beef, does it?

Mind you now, corned chicken taste's as good as corned beef with the improvement chicken
flesh is oh so much tenderer than that tough ole beef brisket the corned beef comes from!

The brine is simple, pickling spices, garlic, salt and cure. I use a Morton product called "Tender 
Quick," as the cure and the salt are already mixed.

Mix the cure and spice with water and let all boil for maybe 5-10 min. to get the flavors opened 
up and leached into the water. once the brine has cooled I just toss the meat in and make 
sure it is pressed below the surface of the brine for about a week, and then the meat is cured. 
Rinse the meat under fresh water, and cook as you wish. Beware this meat is rich!

Some of the chicken is going to be canned, it is a bit of a bother to bone the meat, but it 
produces a superior product, and besides bones take up space where meat should be!

I pack my jar's to maybe 1/2-3/4" of the top of the jar (no larger than pint jar's!) with the meat. 
I prefer to cold pack my jars (raw meat,) as when the meat is cooking in the canning process 
the meat makes it's own broth inside the jar during the canning process.

I add maybe 1 tsp pickling spice, and 1 tsp Tender Quick per (pint,) jar just before I set the 
lid and ring. Each batch is pressure canned at 10lb's for 60-70 min.

Done this way the meat will come out pink, and not as rich as the brined meat, but it will be 
excellent made into a sandwich spread, spread on cracker's as a snack, or even tossed into 
a pot of boiled spuds and veggies.

Oh,oh! My pickling spice is calling to me, I gotta run.

Rusty.

Aug 2nd 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read my Blog. I would appreciate your comments, either positive or negative, so that I may be able to better improve the site. So please do take a moment to leave your thoughts and comments in the Comments Section, thank you and Happy Homesteading.